Sorry to the subscribers for all the mass editing!
Since I do rattle on about socio-environmental issues in Canada, here are some ‘fun facts’ about my family below, since *credibility* is at a premium when one is a mental health survivor…
- A number of my relatives are 4th- and 5th-generation Chinese-Canadians;
- My parents obtained their degrees at Queen’s ’61 and Mount St. Mary’s College ’64;
- My late grandfather (born 1909) and his 11 siblings were/are all university-educated, as are my aunts and uncles, etc;
- My aunt is in the Canadian Who’s Who;
- 3 of my aunts, and 2 of my uncles by marriage, are published authors;
- My uncle by marriage had 3 uncles who served in the Canadian military during WWII, and their family restaurant Panama Café was a Victoria landmark from 1910 to 1967 (see photos below; I haven’t gotten around to digging out our family photos).
Pics from the extended family…
Interior of the Panama Café, ca. 1917. Chan Dun is standing behind the counter (City of Victoria Archives, M00274).
Standing in front of the Panama Café are Koo Ching Lim (left) and her husband Chan Dun (right) with three of their four sons who served in the Second World War, from left: Ira, Paul, and Roy (Photo courtesy of Anthony Chan).
Thanks Tony, be well. We love you.
(Note: These are NOT my photos; they come from an email circular.)
My relative who has been on psychiatric meds for over 40 years sent this email. She was able to stay at one job, got married, and has been active in church and in her communities.
One Word Essays
May your troubles be less,
May your blessings be more,
May nothing but happiness
Come through your door!
Hope You have an enjoyable DAY
and experience all of GOD’s BLESSINGS !!!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the women who have children of their own, or have been like a mother to others! Have a great day and year!
Today is activist and politician Tooker Gomberg’s Memorial Day.
Please read here to learn more about Tooker.
And a NOW Magazine article on his passing.
God bless his widow Angela Bischoff, who is handling both Greenspiration.org and her other eco-campaigns through the Ontario Clean Air Alliance (OCAA). Angela has twice been voted Best Activist by readers of NOW Magazine in 2013 and 2014.
Love and peace to all.
I have moved this post to its own page, ‘Then and Now’, coming soon.
No photography for, like, 6 months. Am having to relearn the very basics all over again – urghh!
These shots are from a day trip to Sibbald’s Point, out on Lake Simcoe, and a random pic of my dog. We did African drumming with Phil, Wendy, and Eric from Shaw Percussion.
It was a challenge positioning myself in the snow. Frankly speaking, I don’t know how photographers do it.